Yes, we’ve been nominated for a second Liebster award! Thank you so much to Molly from Travel with Molly for acknowledging us! Molly is a travel addict from the United Kingdom who has traveled extensively throughout Europe mostly. We have plenty in common – we both love animals, we both have a cat, we both love taking pictures, and we both love sweets!
So, in true Liebster form, we have been asked several questions by Molly and we’ll answer them right now!
11 Facts About Us (that you may not know…)
1. We both met each other at our current workplace where we both work as video editors. It is wonderful that we can both see each other at work and try to coordinate our days off so they line up! However, many times we might be scheduled on opposing shifts, so on those days we hardly see each other at all.
2. Lauren grew up eating a vegetarian diet from birth, so that’s a little over 30 years! She went vegan about five years ago. Justin decided to go vegan after we were dating for a while.
3. Both of us love music and can play musical instruments. Justin can play guitar, and Lauren is a classically-trained pianist who also plays guitar and clarinet. A long while ago, Lauren used to be in a post-rock band called Winter Equinox that released an album and toured across Canada.
4. We both love to exercise together by going to the gym, biking, walking, hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, swimming…and the list goes on! Justin enjoys playing baseball and plays on a team with some friends in Toronto.
5. We both have a sweet tooth – we love our vegan baked goods, chocolate, you name it! Even though we eat pretty healthy, we like to indulge in yummy treats now and again (or…almost daily…eep!)
6. We’re both pretty obsessed with our kitten, Chickpea. We adopted him in February 2014 and we’re both crazy about him. He’s just so cute, cuddly, and awesome. We even started a blog about him! He is our first pet that we’ve owned together…although I think he owns us…
7. We both love coffee. Well, Justin likes coffee. Lauren is in love with coffee…maybe a little too much. Nothing is better than relaxing with a delicious cup of coffee, or sitting at a cafe with coffee in hand. We both enjoy tea, too!
8. Even though we love traveling about as much as we can, sometimes our favorite times are relaxing together at our apartment, cooking dinner, watching a movie, or playing some Nintendo!
9. Justin is an only child, and Lauren has one sister named Robyn. She started a travel blog pretty recently about her volunteer trip to Peru (which is going on at the moment!) . Expect to see lots posted there soon!
10. We recently got into watching The Walking Dead together and we cannot wait for the new season to start! Justin watches the show like a normal person, while Lauren half-hides behind a pillow the entire time for when the zombies come out.
11. Even though we love technology, we’re giving up our cable TV next month! We decided that we really don’t need it anymore and we’d rather put that money towards better things (ahem..travel!). We will still have Netflix and our Internet for streaming. Plus, we decided that we’d rather spend our TV time catching up on shows we’ve been meaning to watch on Netflix or DVD, or playing video games that we haven’t had time to play. But, as the weather gets warmer, we’ll likely be spending much more time outside and away from the apartment – another incentive to ditch the cable!
The Questions from Molly:
What is your favourite means of travelling – plane, car, train, etc?
We really enjoy traveling by plane if it means getting to a faraway destination that isn’t accessible any other way! By car is pretty awesome because we love road trips! There is the freedom of being able to stop wherever you like along the way. However, it does take quite a bit longer if you’re just trying to get from point A to point B. We also love traveling by cruise ship if we’re Caribbean island hopping!
Is there anywhere in the world that you wouldn’t go?
We aren’t interested in traveling to any current war zones where it may be dangerous. Otherwise, most places are fair game!
Name the first five tracks on your road trip playlist.
We tend to listen to albums a little bit more than individual tracks, so I’ll narrow it down to 5 albums – a short list of the MANY that we like! 🙂
Lust Lust Lust – The Raveonettes
Hurry Up We’re Dreaming – M83
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea – Neutral Milk Hotel
Siamese Dream – Smashing Pumpkins
OK Computer – Radiohead
Rucksack or suitcase?
Right now, our travels mostly include a suitcase, but it depends on the situation.
Where was the first foreign country that you travelled to?
For both of us, it included family trips as children to Florida (a popular winter destination for those from Ontario, Canada!). Together, we both recently traveled to the Caribbean, which was our first major trip outside of Canada and the USA as a couple.
What’s the most adventurous thing that you’ve eaten abroad?
Since we’re both vegan, we don’t really go around eating bugs and crawly things, haha! I think that some people might consider vegan food to be adventurous though since many people won’t consider trying tofu or tempeh at times! I don’t know if we’ve been terribly adventurous as we mostly seek out restaurants that cater to our tastes and diet.
Where are you travelling to next?
In a couple of weeks, we’ll be visiting the Finger Lakes region of New York State to stay at Farm Sanctuary, an awesome animal rights organization! We’ll be staying in a cabin on their farm, surrounded by farm animals, so it will be a very unique experience! We’ll be exploring Watkins Glen and Ithaca, hopefully seeing gorges and waterfalls while we’re there!
Name one book that’s really had an impact on you, and say why.
Lauren: Speaking of Farm Sanctuary, Gene Baur’s Farm Sanctuary book had a great impact on me – I was already plenty curious about going vegan, but this book definitely made me realize that I was making the right choices for myself.
What’s your favourite movie?
Lauren: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Although I think if we both had to choose a movie that we both mutually love, it would be Back to the Future. We’ve watched this trilogy so many times together!
Are you a morning person or a night owl?
We’re both night owls! We often work late hours so it forces us to be night owls. When we travel though, we both wake up really early in the morning and get set on that type of schedule, which is great!
What would be your ultimate, dream destination?
We have a few. We’ve decided that Italy is our ultimate, dream destination and that’s where we’ll be headed next! However, you can also include Japan, New Zealand, Iceland, and Hawaii on that list to name a few!
It is difficult to just choose 5 blogs, but we choose:
If you choose to participate, please tell us 11 little known facts about yourselves, and your answers to the following questions:
1. Why did you start writing your travel blog and what is the inspiration for its name?
2. What has been your favorite travel destination so far?
3. Where was the first place that you remember traveling to?
4. Where are you traveling next?
5. What destinations are at the top of your bucket list?
6. What is your most memorable meal that you’ve enjoyed while traveling?
7. What place would you enjoy returning to again and again?
8. What was your least favorite place to visit and why?
9. Who is your favorite travel writer/blogger?
10. What advice would you give to someone who is looking to travel around the world, or live in a foreign destination?